Use of University of Fashion® Trademarks and Copyrights
These guidelines are for all University of Fashion® ("UoF") licensees (which include registered Free Members and all end-users provided access to UoF content through their group, school, library, sewing club or other institution), advertisers, publishers, corporate and educational institutions, any UoF customers, and other parties wishing to use University of Fashion trademarks, service marks or images in promotional, advertising, instructional, or reference materials, or on their web sites, products, labels, or packaging. Use of University of Fashion® trademarks are prohibited unless expressly licensed in writing to you.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please contact your University of Fashion representative or submit a query to University of Fashion by clicking on the “Contact” link on the top of the University of Fashion website at www.UniversityofFashion.com, filling out the form provided with your query, and clicking “Send”.
If you are a licensee of a University of Fashion trademark or logo and have been provided with specific trademark usage guidelines with your license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If your license agreement includes a University of Fashion trademark license but does not have specific trademark guidelines, please follow these guidelines.
University of Fashion trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are valuable assets. Your assistance in following these guidelines, protect our valuable trademark rights and strengthen our corporate and brand identities. Your use of a University of Fashion trademark, in whole or in part, is an acknowledgement by you that University of Fashion is the sole owner of the trademark and a promise you will not interfere with University of Fashion rights in the trademark, including challenging University of Fashion use, registration of, or application to register such trademark, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any University of Fashion trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of a University of Fashion trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to University of Fashion. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under your University of Fashion trademark license and these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise.
Permitted Use of University of Fashion Trademarks
- Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service and University of Fashion trademarks may only be used in this manner.
- Always spell and capitalize University of Fashion trademarks.
- Advertising, Promotional, and Sales Materials: Only University of Fashion and its authorized licensees may use the University of Fashion Logo in advertising, promotional, and sales materials. Unless you have express written consent for the use of the University of Fashion logo, you may not use the University of Fashion logo.
- Publications, Seminars, and Conferences: You may use a University of Fashion word mark in connection with book titles, magazines, periodicals, seminars, or conferences provided you comply with the following requirements:
a. The use is referential and less prominent than the rest of the title.
Acceptable: XYZ CONFERENCE for University of Fashion® member
b. The use must reflect favorably on both the University of Fashion and the University of Fashion brand, products or technology.
c. Your name and logo must appear more prominent than the University of Fashion word mark on all printed materials related to the publication, seminar or conference.
d. The University of Fashion logo or any other University of Fashion-owned graphic symbol, logo, icon or image does not appear on or in the publication or on any materials related to the publication, seminar, or conference without express written permission from University of Fashion.
e. You must disclaim sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by University of Fashion, similar to the following, and include on the publication and on all related printed materials: “(Title) is an independent (publication) and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by the University of Fashion®”
f. A trademark attribution notice is included in the credit section giving notice of University of Fashion ownership of its trademark(s). Please refer to the section below titled “Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution.”
5. Web Sites: Web sites that serve only as noncommercial electronic informational forums concerning a University of Fashion product or technology may use the appropriate University of Fashion word mark, provided such use complies with the guidelines set forth in Section 4, “Publications, Seminars, and Conferences”.
Prohibited Use of University of Fashion Trademarks
- Company, Product, or Service Name: You may not use or register, in whole or in part, University of Fashion®, University of Fashion, or any other University of Fashion trademark, including University of Fashion-owned graphic symbols, logos, icons, or an alteration thereof, as or as part of a company name, trade name, product name, or service name except as specifically noted in these guidelines.
- University of Fashion Logo, or University of Fashion-owned Graphic Symbols and Taglines: You may not use the University of Fashion logo or any other University of Fashion-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from University of Fashion.
- Variations, Takeoffs or Abbreviations: You may not make up names that contain University of Fashion trademarks. You may not use any variation of the University of Fashion logo for any purpose. Third parties cannot use a variation, phonetic equivalent, foreign language equivalent, takeoff, or abbreviation of a University of Fashion trademark for any purpose. For example:
Not acceptable: University of The Fashionable
- Disparaging Manner: You may not use a University of Fashion trademark or any other University of Fashion-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon in a disparaging manner.
- Endorsement or Sponsorship: University of Fashion does not support the use of its logos, company names, product names or images of University of Fashion products or services by other parties, except when such use has been explicitly approved by a UoF owner or co-owner, in marketing, promotional or advertising materials as their use may create the perception that University of Fashion endorses or sponsors the product, service or promotion and may not use University of Fashion or any other University of Fashion trademark, including University of Fashion-owned graphic symbols, logos, or icons in a manner that would imply University of Fashion affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a third party product or service.
- Merchandise Items: You may not manufacture, sell or give-away merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing University of Fashion®, University of Fashion, or any University of Fashion trademark, including symbols, logos, slogans, taglines, or icons, except pursuant to an express written trademark license from University of Fashion.
- University of Fashion Trade Dress: You may not imitate the distinctive University of Fashion web site design, logos, or typefaces.
- Slogans and Taglines: You may not use or imitate a University of Fashion slogan or tagline, e.g. “Master Design One Step at a Time®”
- Domain Names: You may not use an identical or virtually identical University of Fashion trademark as a second level domain name.
Not acceptable: “originaluniversityoffashion.com”
Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution
For Distribution Within the United States Only
- On product, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed only in the United States, use the appropriate trademark symbol: TM, SM or ® (“Trademark Symbol”) the first time the University of Fashion trademark appears in the text of the advertisement, brochure, or other material.
- Include an attribution of University of Fashion ownership of its trademarks within the credit notice section of your product, product documentation, or other product communication.
The following are the correct formats:
_________ and _______ are registered trademarks of University of Fashion, Inc.
_________ and _______ are trademarks of University of Fashion, Inc.
For Distribution Outside the United States:
- Do not use Trademark Symbols on products, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed outside the United States.
- Use one of the following international credit notices:
_________ is a trademark of University of Fashion, Inc., registered in the U.S.A.
_________ is a trademark of University of Fashion, Inc.
Copyright is a form of protection granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. In other words, it is a law that gives the creator ownership over the things he/she has created that takes form in a tangible medium. As such, only the copyright owner (creator) has the right to reproduce the work, distribute copies, and perform the work and to display the work publicly. University of Fashion, Inc. is the owner or licensee of all copyrights to all content on the www.universityoffashion.com website (“UoF Content”). You may not reproduce, distribute copies, perform or publicly display any UoF Content without the express written consent of University of Fashion, Inc.
For further information with respect to University of Fashion copyrights, please submit your request in writing to University of Fashion by clicking on the “Contact” link on the top of most pages on the University of Fashion website at www.universityoffashion.com, filling out the form provided with your question or request, and then clicking “Send”.
University of Fashion® is a registered Trademark of University of Fashion, Inc.
February 1, 2022