You asked, we answered. In our most recent video, designer Lauren Zodel shares “Portfolio Tips for Fashion College Admissions.” The University of Fashion wants you to get noticed by the fashion schools of your choice and we are here to help.
Our Top 5 Fashion Design School Application Tips
- Get started early and stay on track during the application process. Visit our comprehensive List of Fashion Colleges and look for those that appeal to your interests and budget.
- Avoid common pitfalls such as using fashion templates from books or the internet to create your portfolio. Top fashion schools are on the hunt for original work and look for an applicant’s unique “sketching voice.”
- Write a winning entrance essay. Fashion colleges are looking for your philosophy, point of view and most importantly, what sets you apart from other designers.
- Know key designers, fashion terminology and historical movements. Well-versed college applicants stand out from the crowd – from Chanel to Dior, McQueen to Wang – we’ve got you covered. Browse our Pinterest page – an easy way to stay up-to-date on current runway trends.
- Study examples of successful student portfolios and then create your own. Learn how to create a consistent inspiration, mood board and illustrations that will communicate your knowledge of design and construction effectively. You may also use our video library to show your understanding of construction details such as darts or the front/back pant rise. In “Portfolio Tips for Fashion College Admissions,” we share 3 successful student portfolios that will inspire and inform you as you prepare for the fashion school application process.
We wish you the very best of luck as you being to apply to the fashion college of your dreams, and we are here to support you throughout the process.
Now, start your research!
Sign-up for our newsletter
Join our newsletter to receive updates on future blog posts, special deals, and new lessons. Also visit the main webpage to check out all of our video lessons.